S E R U N A I

South Africa is a major consumer of chicken, and poultry is the country’s largest agricultural industry. About 5 million chickens are slaughtered daily, meeting 75% of demand, with the remaining 25% imported from the EU, the United States, Brazil, Argentina, and other nations as needed.

Immense efforts were made largely by our forefathers to protect the sanctity of the preservation of slaughtering correctly within the parameters of the Shari’ah, and consumers and dealers alike entrust and foresee the process of hand slaughtering as a more sacred one. As a result, nearly all slaughter at commercial abattoirs in the country is done by hand, with Muslim slaughters overseen by Muslims.  

So, why is it that Muslims do not accept slaughtering by a machine? The answer to this is simple, the main reason for this is the mechanical slaughter process that cannot meet with the following conditions namely:

  1. The act of slaughter must be rendered physically by a Muslim person.
  2. The Tasmiyah (incantation) must be mentioned over every bird during slaughter.
  3. The required vessels viz trachea, oesophagus, the jugular veins, and carotid arteries must be severed.

It is important to understand that Halal Poultry Certification undergoes quite a fair amount of scrutiny and when these processes are not followed correctly it can very often affect the integrity of the Certification. We see that the Halal processes are usually cut short within the illegal black market which is where fraud erupts from.

Whilst the 75% is covered under the Halal Certification, it is the imported unregulated and the illegal black market which is a serious threat to the integrity of the Halal market. It is reported recently, criminals were arrested for fraud and corruption with a consignment of 27000 (kg) of imported poultry labelled as Halal.[1]

It’s disturbing to imagine how much more than this tip of the iceberg bust, meat supplies pass into our country through our permeable borders and unscrupulous officials, much alone the food safety regulations that are broken in storage and transportation. A large amount of chicken is sold to the fast food and hospitality industries, where the consumer does not have access to product labels, country of origin information, or Halal certification. Detractors do not utter a single word of complaint or outrage in response to this. As a consumer it is vital that we are mindful of what we eat more so, important to equip ourselves with knowledge and not to accept everything at face value instead to research and do proper investigation. 

Reach out to Halal Centre of Excellence for professional coaching, training, and assistance in all Halal field aspects.
Whatsapp/call: http://www.wasap.my/601133627641
Website: https://serunai.com/Serunai/HCOE


[1] https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/three-bust-in-possession-of-27-000kg-of-poultry-meat-offering-r800-000-bribe-to-gauteng-cop-20220129

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

2 Comments

  • zoritoler imol

    Great web site. Lots of useful info here. I am sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks in your sweat!

    Reply
  • graliontorile

    My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for. can you offer guest writers to write content available for you? I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome web log!

    Reply

Leave a Comment